Owl Fruit Tray

My niece Krista has loved owls as long as I can remember.  I wanted to do something owl related for her wedding shower so this is what my son and I came up with.
 I owe him most of the credit because I wanted to leave the top on the pineapple and he talked me out of it.  He had a point when he said owls don't have all that going on, they just have two ears.  So he made ears with strawberries.
 I wanted to cut the watermelon into heart shapes but we couldn't find a small heart shaped cookie cutter anywhere. We ended up cutting the strawberries into hearts.
I found it works better to stick the toothpicks into the pineapple first instead of of sticking the fruit.  When you get the owl to his destination, you can easily add the fruit for the face. (I made the mistake of putting all the pieces in the same bag and the strawberries  bled on the lime).
I wouldn't take anything for Krista's reaction this this dish.  Her sweet smile made it worth every minute.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...